Cancer Care for our Community
The Cancer Care Center at Fort Walton Beach Medical Center is committed to improving cancer care across the oncology care continuum, from diagnosis through treatment and survivorship. Our multidisciplinary care team consists of Physicians, an Oncology Support Team Nurse, Oncology Patient Navigators, Physical Therapists, Respiratory Therapists, Oncology MSW, Case Managers, Registered Dietician, Pharmacists and other individuals as needed. (i.e. pastoral care).
Our goal is to improve the overall health of the community as it relates to cancer. We strive to meet this goal through offering state-of-the-art diagnostic and treatment options and providing quality oncology care.
- Focusing on quality of life
- Increasing the knowledge of cancer and cancer care
- Promoting cancer prevention
- Assisting individuals and the community with cancer screenings & early detection
- Assisting individuals, families and the community in dealing with cancer’s emotional effects
- Improving access to cancer care
- Increasing cancer wellness behaviors
- Education of community healthcare professionals
- Assisting with reduction of healthcare disparities
- Improving prevention and management of cancer in our community
Oncology Support Team Nurse
Agnes Dubose, RN, BSN
- Provides leadership and direction to the Oncology Support Team and Multidisciplinary Team
- Demonstrates advanced levels of clinical, interpersonal, leadership and supportive skills to lead the Oncology Support Team in providing compassionate, quality patient care
- Assists with provision of distress and support to all patients and families
The Cancer Care Center at Fort Walton Beach Medical Center collaborates with community agencies and individuals, building partnerships that strengthen and improve cancer care provided within the community.
UAB Health System
In addition to our involvement in the community, Fort Walton Beach Medical Center is an associate of the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) Health System Cancer Community Network, which allows us to offer the following:
- Increased patient access to telemedicine consults for Genetic Counseling and Remote second opinion
- Increased access to clinical trials
- Continuing education for nurses and physicians
Learn more about our association with UAB Health System’s Cancer Community Network.
Partnership with local American Cancer Society
The American Cancer Society and Fort Walton Beach Medical Center share a commitment to improve the quality of cancer care, increase community awareness of the importance of cancer prevention and early detection, and provide supportive services and information to cancer patients and their caregivers.
The Commission on Cancer (CoC) Accreditation
Our facility is an American College of Surgeons, Commission on Cancer approved Community Hospital Cancer Program. The Commission on Cancer (CoC) Accreditation Program encourages hospitals, treatment centers, and other facilities to improve their quality of patient care through various cancer-related programs. These programs focus on prevention, early diagnosis, pretreatment evaluation, staging, optimal treatment, rehabilitation, surveillance for recurrent disease, support services, and end-of-life care.
- CT Lung Screening
- PET Scanning
- Super Dimension
da Vinci® Robotic Surgery
The da Vinci® System enables surgeons to perform even the most complex and delicate procedures through very small incisions with unmatched precision.
Cancer Support Programs
Patient Support Groups
- Bosom Buddies
- Look Good Feel Better
- Fort Walton Beach Medical Center Prostate Cancer Support Group
- Support for People with Oral, Head, and Neck Cancer
Browse a few photos of our Oncology Unit update.