Rehab Your Way To Stroke Recovery
Having a stroke at a young age poses an array of unique challenges. You want your active lifestyle back. And it’s our goal to help you get there. It’s why we’ve designed a highly specialized rehab program for people just like you. In fact, our interdisciplinary team will collaborate with you and your support system to create a personalized rehab plan specifically drawn to help you meet your recovery goals.
Rehabilitation does not reverse the brain damage caused by a stroke, but it can substantially help achieve the best possible outcome for long-term recovery – especially for active adults. The Rehabilitation Institute of Northwest Florida’s Active Adult Stroke Program is designed to address the demands of active stroke survivors. And we’re going to do our best every day to get you back to doing the things you love most.
Expertise That Brings Hope And Inspiration To The Process Of Recovery
The Rehabilitation Institute of Northwest Florida is the tri-county’s only CARF accredited stroke specialty program, and an integral part of Fort Walton Beach Medical Center, a facility recognized by The Joint Commission as an Advanced Primary Stroke Center. This connection grants our patients access to highly trained stroke specialists and the very latest technologies.
Led by a board certified physician with expertise in stroke rehabilitation, our stroke rehab team includes specialty trained rehab nurses and neuropsychologists as well as physical, occupational and speech therapists. Social services, case management, orthotic consultants,nutritional counseling and spiritual counseling play key roles in the path to recovery.
Our Best Therapies And Technologies
- Intense one-on-one therapy provided by physical, occupational and speech therapists
- Vital stimulation therapy provided by a certified therapist
- Neuromuscular retraining
- Body weight supported ICARE (Intelligently Controlled Assistive Rehabilitation Elliptical)
- Bioness 200 TM® hand rehabilitation system
- Bioness 300 TM® foot drop system
- Tech refresh computer, iPad, iPhone and other electronic devices
- WiiFit TM® therapy
- Fully equipped kitchen, bedroom, bath and laundry training environments
- Stroke prevention education
- Stroke support group
- Vocational, family, financial and intimacy counseling
- Neuropsychological testing
- Equipment and education relating to post-discharge needs
- Family/caregiver training
- A Department of Fort Walton Beach Medical Center
- 20-bed facility
- All private rooms
- Wi-Fi guest access
- Patient designated computer for internet access
- Real-life home environments
- Large communal spaces
- Visitors are welcome and considered an important part of the rehabilitation program
- On site 24-hour emergency room services 7 days a week
- Tours of our facility are offered – no appointment necessary
- Located in Destin less than one mile north of Highway 98 across from the Destin Airport
Medical Director: Our board certified medical director works closely with patient’s physicians, consulting specialists and our team of therapists and nurses to coordinate your individual treatment program.
Nursing: Registered nurses are trained to care for neurological issues related to stroke and to provide around the clock care, while coordinating the medical support needs of our rehab patients.
Physical Therapy: Our physical therapists specialize in maximizing mobility and independence to improve major motor and sensory impairments, such as walking, balance and coordination.
Occupational Therapy: The occupational therapists specialize in rebuilding daily living skills such as bathing, dressing, cooking and other activities that you may do.
Speech Therapy: Our speech therapists are trained to help restore speech and language skills, treat swallowing disorders and address cognitive impairments.
Social Worker: Our masters level social worker evaluates for psychological/social needs and provides counseling, resources and support. Comprehensive discharge planning is also provided to assist patients and their families with the transition to home.
Neuropsychologist: The neuropsychologists help stroke survivors adjust to the emotional challenges and new circumstances of their lives.
Know The Signs Of Stroke And Act F.A.S.T!
Facial Weakness – mouth or eyes drooping
Arm Weakness – difficulty in raising both either arm
Speech problems – slurring words, difficulty speaking clearly
Time is of the essence! If you fail any ONE of these tests, act fast. Call 911.
A stroke occurs every 40 seconds and is the leading cause of adult disability in the United States. The good news is that Fort Walton Beach Medical Center has a Joint Commission recognized, Advanced Primary Stroke Center, as well as a CARF accredited stroke specialty program staffed with advanced caregivers that ensure you get Our Best. Every Day.
We are here 24 hours a day, seven days a week to answer your questions about the services we provide. Just call (850) 863-7651.