Fort Walton Beach Medical Center is now offering bamlanivimab (BAM) antibody infusions to non-hospitalized patients who have tested positive for COVID-19 and have other high-risk factors.
The U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) granted Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) of bamlanivimab for the treatment of COVID-19 patients experiencing mild to moderate symptoms who are high risk to develop severe COVID-19. Fort Walton Beach Medical Center will provide the outpatient IV treatment for adults and adolescents age 12 and older.
High-risk conditions that may be eligible for this treatment include:
- > = 65 years of age
- Chronic kidney disease
- Immunosuppressive disease
- Heart disease
- For children over the age of 12, sickle cell disease, neurodevelopmental disorders, and asthma are also among several additional considerations for eligibility.
The medication supply is limited and based on availability. Patients will need a physician referral and meet FDA criteria prior to scheduling. The treatment is a one-time intravenous infusion over the course of one hour followed by an hour of monitoring. Scheduling for patients who meet the criteria can be made by calling Emerald Coast Infectious Disease at (850) 862-3979.
Bamlanivimab is not authorized for use for patients who:
- Are hospitalized due to COVID-19
- Require oxygen therapy due to COVID-19
- Require supplemental oxygen for other conditions and require an increase in their oxygen requirement.