If this is an emergency call 911. If you have questions or comments about trauma, please contact us at (850) 863-7610.
Fort Walton Beach Medical Center has been approved as a Level II Trauma Center by the Florida Department of Health effective April 20, 2017. Prior to state designation, Fort Walton Beach Medical Center was verified by the American College of Surgeons as a Level II Trauma Center and began accepting Level II trauma patients in June 2015.
For trauma patients who live in Okaloosa and Walton Counties, as well as the surrounding counties, every second counts. Studies show the sooner patients get to a trauma center, the better their chance for survival. For their families, there are no long distances to travel into Fort Walton Beach. Patients and family can stay in their community and receive the care and support they need. We’ve always offered advanced care in our Emergency Room. Now with exceptional trauma-trained staff, the emergency response power of EMS and our partnership with the other first responders, it really is time for trauma care that is close to home.
Conditions We Treat
Trauma is a serious injury or shock to the body. It is caused by a physical force, such as accident or violence. The injury may be complicated by psychiatric, behavioral, and social factors. This can cause the disability to be greater than just physical injuries. This condition almost always requires care from skilled healthcare professionals.
Some causes of trauma include:
- Other physical assault
- Fire, flood, earthquake, or other
Resulting injuries often include:
- Chest and abdominal trauma
- Spinal trauma
- Facial trauma – including eyes, ears, nose and mouth
- Extremity trauma (leg or arm)
- Brain and head trauma
- Neck trauma
- Almarante Fire District
- Baker Fire District
- Crestview Fire Department
- Destin Fire Department
- East Niceville Fire District
- Fort Walton Beach Police Department
- Laurel Hill Fire District
- Mary Esther Fire District
- North Bay Fire District
- North Okaloosa Fire District
- Ocean-City Wright Fire Department
- Okaloosa County Sheriff’s Department
- Okaloosa EMS
- Okaloosa Island Fire Department
- Okaloosa MedFlight (Air Methods)
- South Walton Fire District
- Valparaiso Fire District