Cancer Care for our Community
The Cancer Care Center at Fort Walton Beach Medical Center is committed to improving cancer care across the oncology care continuum, from diagnosis through treatment and survivorship. Our multidisciplinary care team consists of Physicians, an Oncology Support Team Nurse, Oncology Patient Navigators, Physical Therapists, Respiratory Therapists, Oncology MSW, Case Managers, Registered Dietician, Pharmacists and other individuals as needed. (i.e. pastoral care).
Our goal is to improve the overall health of the community as it relates to cancer. We strive to meet this goal through the following:
Offering state-of-the-art diagnostic and treatment options including:
- 64 Slice CT Scan
- Digital Mammography
- Lymphedema Therapy Program
- superDimension™ i-Logic™ System
Providing quality oncology care
- Focusing on quality of life
- Increasing the knowledge of cancer and cancer care
- Promoting cancer prevention
- Assisting individuals and the community with cancer screenings & early detection
- Assisting individuals, families and the community in dealing with cancer’s emotional effects
- Improving access to cancer care
- Increasing cancer wellness behaviors
- Education of community healthcare professionals
- Assisting with reduction of healthcare disparities
- Improving prevention and management of cancer in our community
The Cancer Care Center at Fort Walton Beach Medical Center collaborates with community agencies and individuals, building partnerships that strengthen and improve cancer care provided within the community.
In addition to our involvement in the community, Fort Walton Beach Medical Center is also accredited American College of Surgeon’s Commission on Cancer and is an associate of the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) Health System Cancer Community Network, which allows us to offer the following:
- Increased patient access to telemedicine consults for Genetic Counseling and Remote second opinion
- Increased access to clinical trials
- Continuing education for nurses and physicians
Learn more about our Association with UAB Health System’s Cancer Community Network.
Oncology Support Team Nurse
Agnes Dubose, RN, BSN
- Provides leadership and direction to the Oncology Support Team and Multidisciplinary Team
- Demonstrates advanced levels of clinical, interpersonal, leadership and supportive skills to lead the Oncology Support Team in providing compassionate, quality patient care
- Assists with provision of distress and support to all patients and families
Partnership with local American Cancer Society
The American Cancer Society and Fort Walton Beach Medical Center share a commitment to improve the quality of cancer care, increase community awareness of the importance of cancer prevention and early detection, and provide supportive services and information to cancer patients and their caregivers.
- CT Lung Screening
- PET Scanning
- Super Dimension
- The da Vinci® System enables surgeons to perform even the most complex and delicate procedures through very small incisions with unmatched precision.
Smoking Cessation Program through AHEC
Quitting smoking is hard, but you don’t have to do it alone. Smoking cessation programs can provide support from experts or other smokers who are struggling to quit.
‘Quit Smoking Now’ Classes at Fort Walton Beach Medical Center | 3rd Floor Classroom A
Quit Smoking Now
Wednesdays 5:30 pm January 6 - February 10, 2016
Wednesdays 5:30 pm March 16 - April 20, 2016
Wednesdays 5:30 pm May 11 - June 15, 2016
Wednesdays 5:30 pm July 13 - August 17, 2016
Wednesdays 5:30 pm September 14 - October 19, 2016
Wednesdays 5:30 pm November 9 - December 14, 2016
Patient Support Groups
- Bosom Buddies
- Look Good Feel Better
- Fort Walton Beach Medical Center Prostate Cancer Support Group
- Support for People with Oral, Head, and Neck Cancer
Cancer Help Line: (850) 862-1110
For a free physician referral or to speak with a registered nurse about your health questions, 24/7, please call Consult-A-Nurse® at (850) 864-0213.